Pages

Tuesday, 4 January 2011

Masala Chicken - North Indian Stylee














Last year I had to make a short trip to New Delhi on business, it was February so the weather was not too hot but bearable. I mainly on my trips visit Bangalore, Mumbai or Chennai so I was excited when I was told about this destination and no matter what amount of work I had to do I was going to take out time to visit a restaurant all my friends had been boasting about eating at.

Based in the 5 Star (no I didn't stay there) ITC Maurya is the Internationally acclaimed Bukhara restaurant, ok a lot of people say and even I, that 5 Star hotel food is too touristy Ahh Ahhh not this one. The flippin queue for the restaurant was massive and were mainly citizens of New Delhi hardly any residents of the hotel so that said a lot.

The fit out had dark-wood beams, copper urns all over the place, and blood-red rugs, defiantly reminded my of Northern India. You could see the Chefs running around like head-less chickens ( like the pun)  behind big glass windows and what I counted to be at least 12 tandoori ovens.

I went straight for the Masala Chicken and it did not disappoint, exactly as my friends had told me it would be, immense aromatic flavours, totally mmmmmm.  Looking around I noticed a lot of people were eating a black lentil curry, I asked the waiter what it was and he explained that even though the restaurant is famed for it's meat dishes the most famous dish was actually called Bukhara's dal, a black lentils curry simmered overnight with tomatoes, ginger, and garlic and you know what, it rocked! It was incredible, so creamy because of the ghee and they also had variations with Paneer.  I highly recommend it.

Back to the meat dish I eventually managed to get the chef to give me the recipe for the Marsala Chicken (East End charm), so yesterday whilst tidying up my cupboard I found it, had totally forgot and as the Christmas Turkey had finally finished I got cooking.

I cracked open a few bottles of Thornbridge Jaipur and sat back reminisced about Buckhara.

Here's their recipe for you guys to enjoy and it doesn't matter if you add more of the spices than I suggest...well not too  much.

First mix together:
2 Part Garam Masala
1 Part Cumin Powder
1 Part salt

Rub the above on to the Moist chicken and leave for a minimum of an hour.

Then blend the following together:
1 small onion
4 parts of Garam Masala
2 parts of salt
4 parts cumin powder
1 part of Paprika
1 part of Turmeric
1 part of Red powder Chillies
.5 teaspoons of Ground Ginger
5 Cloves of Garlic
1 tablespoon  of Yogurt
1 tablespoon of mustard oil
3 table spoons of vinegar
Add green chillies to taste

Once blended brush on to the chicken with a basting brush, leave refrigerated an hour or so. Leave in the oven for 45mins on 175º and turn once after 20 mins.

DONE :D

Wikio

No comments:

Post a Comment