Pages

Saturday, 19 March 2011

Brouwerij de Molen - Hel & Verdoemenis 666 Imperial Stout






Yep you guess it another one of my buys from Birroteca Grand Cru, yep I did have a large suitcase and bubble wrap. I'd been looking for this and had even emailed to the brewery asking if there were any places in the UK I could pick up a bottle but no joy so Birroteca Grand Cru was the last place I thought I would find it, I was once again proven wrong as this place is a Aladdin’s cave of beer.

Brouwerij De Molen is a Dutch brewery based in Bodegraven in the western part on The Netherlands, the brewery is located in a mill named “De Arkduif” after Noah’s dove and was built back in 1697. I am yet to visit and is on my list for summer 2011 I’ve heard so much about these guys and cant wait. The 666 Hel & Verdoemenis is aged in 40 year old cognac barrels and in a recent interview of the brewer on Beer Reviews I read that they also do Hel & Verdoemenis aged on Wild Turkey bourbon barrels, which sounds YUM.

My bottle was numbered 1074 with the text on the front label 'the number of the beast' hmm 666 beast! Wonder if the brewer is a Black Sabbath fan fancy bumping into Ozzy Osborne at the brewery lol. Pours a thick black with a lasting tan head, instantly you pick up aromas of wet wood, cognac, and some hoppy notes, burnt chocolate. Taste you get vanilla bean, definitely the cognac smacks you in the gob, dark chocolate even tobacco with slight hoppiness to it. Carbonation is lively and you pick up the alcohol but in a pleasant way not harsh.

I really like this and being a cold evening really warmed me up shame the bottle was 20cl a bit more would have cured my cold and I look forward to trying the Wild Turkey Bourbon version.

My ratings:
Hel & Verdoemenis 666 (10% ABV) - 7/10

For more info on Dutch brewery Brouwerij De Molen check out the website






Wikio

No comments:

Post a Comment