Pages

Saturday, 20 August 2011

XX Bitter by Brouwerij De Ranke


Another purchase of mine from L'Abbaye des Saveurs in Lille, this beer was recommended to me by a good pal of mine Paul Daly. Paul's in Belgium and France quite regularly discovering new beers and we always exchange notes on what we each have discovered, this beer he's been going on about for a long time and I’ve been on the look out for it on each of my trips so when the lads at the shop told me they got some in I popped in and I picked up half a dozen and at €1.45 the price was good too.

Brewery De Ranke is a Belgian Brewery and is situated in the town of Wevelgem that’s in South of the country close to the French border I think its about 20 mins by train from Lille (Lille Flanders), the guys started brewing back in 1994 and I so far i have only known them for the Kriek De Ranke. Currently they have six beers on the market and are shipping to US, India, Japan, UK, Sweden, Denmark, Italy, Austria & France. I'd love to find out what the Indian market thinks of the Kriek, I’d reckon it goes down especially in the South (Chennai, Bangalore) they have a very interesting palate those southerners.

Pours a golden orange colour with a large foamy head. Aroma spicy, floral hops with touches of lemon and pine. Flavour slightly sweet and florally which becoming more citric and indeed very hoppy, it’s very sharp with hints of pepper and then biscuit malts. Finish is sour like a lambic you just got to love the sharpness. Defiantly one of the hoppiest Belgian beers I’ve recently had from this part of the world and I love my hops.

My Rating:

XX Bitter - Brouwerij De Ranke (6.2%) 7/10

Do visit the breweries website and when your next in Lille jump on a train and check out the brewery.















Wikio

No comments:

Post a Comment